Saturday, April 4, 2020

03.15.20 - Childish Gambino Review

I definitely can say that I remember exactly where I was when I first bought Childish Gambino's very first album. As a fan I can definitely say where I was when I first heard his music, honestly at the time I didn't know his name, but I did like his style. I was just the type of nerdy Black person who could get down with his brand of nerdy backpack raps. The funny part is when I bought his first album, I was in the only place that sold explicit albums in town looking for Drakes album. That day I walked out of the store with two albums not one and don't regret it for one moment. When I got back to my dorm that day I listened to both albums and of the two I liked Camp better. I also figured out that I had already heard a fair amount of his music, thanks to the other Black nerds on ECSU's campus.

Fast forward nine years, four albums, fourteen films, fifteen TV shows and an Addidas campaign later. I am still and avid fan and have witnessed Donald Glover switch between his rap persona, his writing, his acting and his business persona. His rap persona is somewhat a mystery to some people as he defies genres, is somewhat of a recluse and is not very active at all on any social media platforms. When something Donald Glover/Childish Gambino is released not only is it an occasion, but also proof of life because of his efforts to stay out of the limelight.

As I type I do seem to remember Childish Gambino being the one for surprises long before many artists. I remember the very vague visuals for Because the Internet, and the film script that was supposed to go along with the album. The pop-up secret concert in the desert, where they confiscated the phones of all who attended (supposedly because some snapshots surfaced shortly after) before Awaken, My Love came out. This instance is no different.

On March 15, 2020 at midnight Childish Gambino opened up a web domain www.donaldgloverpresents.com with a cover graphic and a play button. There was no option to fast-forward, rewind or repeat. There were no song titles just a stream with 12 songs playing on a loop. Naturally, fans were excited and were willing to take what was given. Some of the songs we already recognized off the bat, Algorhythm, Time, Die with You, Warlord and Saturday (some of which were featured in the Amazon exclusive Guava Island).We listened and listened, at midnight that night the stream disappeared so we were not able to return to it afterward.



A few days later we got news that Childish Gambino had released the songs as an album called 03.15.20. Needless to say we were ready, we knew it was coming. Now we have the tracklist info on deck.

1. 0.00 - Intro

2. Algorhythm

3. Time

4. 12.38 - Vibrate

5. 19.10 - Beautiful

6. 24.19 - Sweet Thing/Thank you

7. 32.22 - Warlords

8. 35. 31 - Little Foot, Big Foot. Get Out the Way.

9. 39.28 - Why Go to the Party

10. 42.26 - Feels Like Summer

11. 47.48 - Don't Worry About (The Violence)

12. 53.49 - Stand Tall

Right now I'm still listening to the tracks and letting each track stand on its own. The album while it has its tempo and transition issues is still a pretty solid effort. There are some really amazing moments through out the album in its entirety, Right now the songs could stand alone or be listened to in the context of the album. I take them either way. My standouts change everyday, but as of now my favorites are Algorhythm, Time, 32.22, 42.26, and 47.48. The album as a whole is a solid effort and at least for the most part Childish Gambino stuck to a blueprint and gave us some music that will stick.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations For Boricua-a-thon Bingo Card

  Dulce De Coco A book that is sweet or addictive. Never Look Back  Eury comes to the Bronx as a girl haunted. Haunted by losing everything ...