Monday, May 18, 2020

Ten Years of Janelle Monáe's Masterpiece "The ArchAndroid"


Exactly ten years ago today Janelle Monáe and the Wondaland Arts Society released an album that was for many the whole package. The music was amazing, the story was interesting and the dramatics were unmatched. This was a follow up of her Metropolis EP was also a continuance of the Metropolis Epic. The Metropolis EP was suite one and The ArchAndroid are suites two and three respectively. For me, I became effectively obsessed with this album, the eclectic sound, the orchestrations, Janelle's rapping and vocals was just the perfect package.


The ArchAndroid is an 18 track mammoth of a concept album with some of the best visuals in life. Not only was the album artwork stunning, but the videos that came with it were as well. The album tells the story of Cindi Mayweather  and Anthony Greendown as we all know. Janelle's future narrative about an Android who falls in love with a human has spawned some imaginative, downright crazy fan theories and fan fiction that is actually beautiful. A lot of the theories are derived from the insert above that is a kind of bazaar letter from the Vice Chancellor of The Palace of the Dogs Arts Asylum. Some fAmdroids/fAndroids (as her fans are called) theories involve intricacies I could never think of. After all these years we are still trying to piece together the story, I think Janelle likes it that way.

I'm going to list my favorite tracks cause I can do that. The whole album is magnificent, but I do have some favorites. Suites II Overture and Suite III Oveture of course are a musicians orchestrations dream, this was the reason many of us wanted to join the ArchOrchestra back then. Dance or Die cause Janelle showed she had bars. Locked Inside, Oh, Maker, Make the Bus and Wondaland were catchy AF, they were bops for sure. Come Alive, Mushrooms and Roses because your fave could never. Say You'll Go and BabopbyeYa are just two more examples of all that orchestration I love so much. The Album is just full of eargasms, lol don't judge me.

Ten years has passed and some still have yet to discover the mysteries of this masterpiece and some of us are always noticing new things. There are people who are just discovering it. Let's not speak of those who had the chance to give it, its due recognition  and didn't (*cough Recording Academy *cough cough). If you asked me if this album stands the test of time I would say "Yes, damn it give Jane all the awards for the times you paid her dust".  I may be a little biased cause "Hey fAmdroid here". Honestly, if she learned to play a violin while standing on her head, I'd love her even more. Yes, I still listen to this album faithfully, its a classic in my book, and yes I might be a little biased, but who's gonna check me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations For Boricua-a-thon Bingo Card

  Dulce De Coco A book that is sweet or addictive. Never Look Back  Eury comes to the Bronx as a girl haunted. Haunted by losing everything ...